Networking can get your business noticed. It can lead to referrals, valuable business opportunities and increased sales. But it can be daunting to put yourself out there, and tricky to get right. Remember that professional networking is a social activity. It’s about building relationships – so leave the hard sell behind. Instead, be open and get to know people.
Here are 10 things you can do to get the most out of your networking experience:
- Aim to build relationships
- Make networking part of your job
- Do your homework beforehand
- Show belief in your business
- Listen and ask questions
- Speak to as many people as you can
- Give out your business card
- Keep a record of the event
- Set yourself a goal for the year
- Look for opportunities to connect with people.
If you feel jittery, remember to take a breath, stand back, and let others talk. It builds rapport and shows you’re interested. Now… dive in and meet people!